Dronfield Gymnastics Academy's Code of Conduct - Parents
Purpose of our Codes of Conduct
Our code of conducts reflect the British Gymnastics' standards of behaviour for gymnasts, coaches, parents and visitors and also incorporate the views of its members. They act to provide a clear framework within which anyone involved in the club are expected to conduct themselves.
General Parent Code of Conduct
- Encourage your child to learn the codes of conduct and abide by them.
- Ensure your child knows who the club welfare officers are and how to contact them if they have a concern.
- Never force your child to take part in sport, support your child's involvement and help them to enjoy sport.
- Set a good example by recognising good sportsmanship and applauding the good performances of all.
- Be patient with your childs progress. Gymnasts progress according to their age, ability and stage of maturation. Parents should bare in mind that long term improvement is the ultimate goal.
- Please leave the coaching to the trained coaches. Parents should not pressure their children, offer coaching advice or undermine any goals set between the gymnast and coach. It is the coaches role to offer constructive advice relating to the gymnasts performance.
- Endeavour to make sure that your child arrives on time to all sessions and is collected on time at the end of each session.
- If your child is going to be late or absent inform the head coach.
- Ensure your child is dressed appropriately with their hair tied back and wearing no jewellery.
- Ensure your child has plenty to drink, especially in hot weather
- Always pay subscriptions promptly and respond to calls, texts, emails or letters quickly.
- Ensure your child has any necessary medication with them at all times and they and their coach knows how and when to use it.
- Ensure the club holds up to date personal information on your child.
- Reinforce with your child the high standards of behaviour expected from them and support the coaches in implementing this, including listening and following instructions.
- Use correct and appropriate language at all times and avoid any behaviour which could be interpreted as intimidating, this includes threatening, bullying, trying to gain an unfair advantage and public disparagement of the club and its members/coaches.
- If using social media and discussing gymnastics do so in a sensible and positive manner which reflects well upon yourselves, your child and the club.
- The use or possession of drugs, alcohol, or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol while on the premises is strictly prohibited and any persons breaking this rule will be asked to leave the club and the police called.
- Do your upmost to stay informed and up to date with club events by reading letters, emails and texts which are distributed, looking at the club noticeboard and checking the clubs website and social media pages regularly.
- No photography or video recording equipment (including photo and video imaging mobile phones) may be used by parents, carers or visitors during training sessions. On competition and gala days please fill in a request form and register with the event at reception if you wish to take photos and/or videos.
- Do not attempt to communicate with your child or another child during training sessions or competitions (including during breaks).
Squad Parent Code of Conduct (In addition to the above)
- Publicly accept officials judgements
- Discourage challenging officials' decisions
- Encourage your child to value performance and not just results.
- Help your child to develop good healthy eating habits, especially prior to training and competition and ensure that they have sufficient rest.
- Be supportive and a stabilising influence through the inevitable ups and downs of training and competition.