Dronfield Gymnastics Academy's Child and Vulnerable Adults
strive to ensure that children and vulnerable adults are protected and safe
from harm whilst participating in gymnastics. We endeavour to promote the
highest standards of care for participants and willingly accept responsibility
duty of care for all children and vulnerable adults whilst they are on the
- Specifically appointing and training a member of staff for the role of 'Children and Vulnerable Adults Protection and Welfare Officer'. This person is available as a confidential and accessible route for people to voice their concerns or allegations regarding issues of protection and welfare.
- Dealing with issues of protection and welfare sensitively, swiftly and in confidence.
- Enforcing a code of conduct for all members, backed up by a disciplinary policy.
- Operating a strict coaches code of conduct and employee disciplinary procedure.
- Carefully recruiting coaches and ensuring that they hold both valid training qualifications and certification from the criminal records bureau indicating their suitability to work with children and vulnerable adults.
- Promoting the on-going training and development of coaches both through the British Gymnastics coaching schemes and in child protection training.
- Ensuring that situations do not arise where a child is alone and unobserved with a coach/adult either on the premises or during travel to an event. At all times on site children will work in groups or with other coaches and children in the gym. On off site visits where it is necessary for children to travel with a coach, where possible more than one adult will attend the trip and/or a group of gymnasts and where this is not possible the children will not travel unless the explicit permission of the parents/guardians.